Monday, April 15, 2013

Increasing Your Ability To Give By Financial Planning

My fellow bloggers and I here at Second Calvary Baptist Church have been discussing the topics of tithing and offering and their biblical significance to our life as Christians. We all agree on the several ideals in regards to giving which include obedience, our willingness to aid our local communities, and contributing to the church’s ministries and missions. But let us explore another facet to the subject of giving, a more practical side. Sometimes we may find ourselves in situations where we want to give more to a scholarship fund or an upcoming mission trip after we have already given our tithes. A possible solution to opening up a bigger window to give for such things may be to establish a realistic financial plan.
Establishing such a plan can increase your ability to give. Let me explain, with an example, why this is a plausible solution. I find myself, very frequently, becoming a victim of the Wal-Mart trap. I go into Wal-Mart sometimes with only an idea of what I am purchasing and end up spending way more than I anticipated. However, when I go to Wal-Mart with not only a budgeted amount to spend, but also a list of items to purchase, I find myself sticking to the plan that was created. I give this example to say this: If we create a financial plan for ourselves this will enhance our standard of living and also increase our ability to give more. If we ask the Holy Spirit to guide us, He will enable us to write a vision for our finances and make it clear and feasible.  If we map out our expenses on paper and maintain the discipline to stay committed to it, we maximize the usage of our income.
In essence, financial planning has great benefits. It’s the wisdom of God that enables us to plan with diligence which in turn, can create more opportunities for us to give to those charities, causes, scholarship funds, etc. that we hold so dear to our hearts.  
Meditate on these scriptures that encourage diligence in planning:
Who would build a tower without first sitting down and estimating the cost to be sure he has enough money to complete it?( Luke 14:28)
The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage… (Proverbs 21:5a)

~Toni H.

No comments:

Post a Comment